Department of Orthopaedics, PGI, Chandigarh celebrating Bone & Joint Week” from 1st-7th August,2018
Indian Orthopaedics Association has 14,000 plus Orthopaedists as its Life members. Every year, we observe “Bone & Joint Week” from 1st-7th August to create awareness about bone and joint problems and its socio-economic impact. The President’s (Prof. Mandeep Dhillon) theme for this year is “Road Safety”. Road traffic accidents is on the rise in the Country. India has more than 7.5 lakh victims of road traffic accidents every year and most of these accidents are preventable. Among these, more than 1.8 lakhs die due to these injuries. Some loose their limbs and legs and some are left with permanent disabilities of various degrees. Most of them return to work only after prolonged treatment leading to loss of so many productive hours leading to severe crunch and loss of man hours severely affecting the socio-economic productivity of the Nation at large. During this week, Orthopaedists across the Country carry on these activities to increase awareness and help where possible: Following events are being organized by the Department of Orthopaedics, PGI, Chandigarh under the dynamic and able leadership and vision of current President of Indian Orthopaedics Association & Head of the Department of Orthopaedics, Prof. Mandeep Singh Dhillon
- Public awareness activities to prevent Road Traffic accidents.
- Conducting surgeries free of cost for the poor all over India.
- Walkathon from Sukhnalake to Chandigarh club for increasing the publicawarenessregarding road safety rules and measures.
- Distribution & Display of Posters, Pamphlets on Road safety for General public.
- Lectures and Personal interaction on Road safety in Schools, Public Forums and social platforms.
- Basic Life support course for Paramedics, Drivers, School students and general public for improving patient transportation.
- Wide media coverage for public awareness.
At the Walkathon at the lake on Sunday 6 am, the guests of Honour would be:
- SSP, Traffic, Chandigarh.
- Principal, Delhi Public School, Chandigarh.
- Famous Cricketer, Mr. Dinesh Mongia.
- Asst. Editor, Tribune.
- Regional Manager, SBI (North).
- President, Chandigarh Golf Club.
- Luminaries of Chandigarh Bird & Environment Club, and many more